RE: Deadly Sins of Real AI

From: ben goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 10:23:10 MST

***
Aaargh. Can we put this particular track of the conversation on temporary
hold until I finish proofreading the second and almost certainly final
draft
of "Levels of Organization in General Intelligence", which should be Any
Day
Now?
***

Sure. I've got plenty of work to do too! I'm in the middle of writing up
a paper on some past work, a very boring pursuit, which is why I'm finding
e-mail so attractive....

***
But for the record, the top three Deadly Sins are:

1) Solving problems with code;
2) Hardwiring what should be learned;
3) Physics envy ("using only one idea" comes under this heading).
***

I don't know that I agree that these are the top 3 bugaboos of general AI,
but they are certainly problems to watch out for.

When you have time, the next 17.3 items on the list would be nice to see...

ben g