Re: Draft Paper: Santa's Workshop

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 12:11:28 MDT

> Sorry, a little offtopic, but I think the concept is
> important, and this
> person may still be out there working on it.

An AI may be able to convince it's programmers to
buy hardware to upgrade itself, or it may do useful
work to pay for it's upgrades. Then again, it may
have to build up an industrial infrastructure to
build parts no one else makes yet. Or it may take
a lot of computer hardware to run an AI. In the
latter cases a replicating factory with a short
doubling time would be useful.

So until someone shows that an AI operating in the
realm of thought alone is sufficient to implement
a singularity, I consider the hardware issues to
be relevant.

Daniel