RE: DGI: non-universality of codon->amino acid mapping

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 17:06:09 MDT

> Obviously the genetic code did evolve originally, and it is obviously
not
> impossible that mitochondria should have a different mapping, if
either
> (a)
> they diverged from modern multicellular animal life before the genetic
> code
> became fixed or (b) they or one of their ancestral stages were simple
> enough
> (had a small enough base of genetic complexity) that the DNA could go
on
> evolving, i.e., occasionally jump to a new mapping without destroying
the
> whole organism. I am simply pointing out that relative to a complex
> organism such as humans, DNA is absolutely fixed because of the number
of
> simultaneous dependencies.

I wasn't saying that mitochondria have a different mapping from current
human nuclear DNA but that the mapping that mitochondrion of different
species seems to differ. I'm not sure what you mean by point (a) -- the
mitochondria I am referring to are an important component of prokaryote
cells (which compose all "advanced" multicellular organisms). And in
reference to point (b) -- the change in mitochondrial coding happened
after it was a building block in multicellular organisms.

But this is all details -- I guess I was just sort of uncomfortable with
the original statement that this point consisting of the supposed
"non-mutability of the codon-amino acid mapping" was intended to
support. I don't think that are many significant low-level/archaic
structures that are non-mutable by later evolutionary pressures.

Cheers,
-ben
http://www.exocortex.org

Behalf
> Of Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
> Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 11:21 AM
> To: sl4@sysopmind.com
> Subject: Re: DGI: non-universality of codon->amino acid mapping
>
> Ben Houston wrote:
> >
> > Mitochondrial mRNA, unlike standard DNA, uses UGA to encode
tryptophan
> > rather than the usual terminator code. Most animal mitochondria use
AUA