Re: Four Years Later.

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 04:41:36 MDT

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, James Pearn wrote:

> I don't get your problem with the explosion of forums, and in
> particular Mr.B.J.Klein's. Surely Eliezer is right, in this case. The
> more activity in the singularity community the better. Perhaps you're
> suffering a touch of jealousy that you didn't create your own forum
> first?

Nope. Forums are good (even if they're mostly web-based and make users
jump through pointless hoops a la CoV BBS:

http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=11526
)

Forums stop being good however, when they fragment and compartmentalize
the community. Fringe is notorious for that, so I keep pointing that fact
out.

> My only critical observation on this forum explosion, however, is that
> it seems to be all forums and no actual technology development. All

I agree with you, but that's an orthogonal issue.

> talk and no trousers. The people who will really make the singularity
> happen are the likes of Christof Koch and Kwabena Boahen who are
> slaving away to build aVLSI silicon neurons. When was the last time
> they ever posted to a discussion group such as this one or Klein's?
> Never, they're too busy doing the real work.

Yes, that's the reason.