Balkanization (was: Four Years Later)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 16:05:31 MDT

"BJKlein.com" wrote:

> Just as one has to "subscribe" to the sl4 mailing list, a member that
> "Registers" for bjklein.com will gain access to the forum and be
> subscribed to the bimonthly newsletter. Registration takes about two
> minutes. And if need be, one can unsubscribe easily.

Actually, this isn't quite true; SL4's archives are open, but only
subscribers can post (and even that is just a measure I added to prevent
junk mail; I would have preferred a completely open list). I must admit
that the first time I ran across your site, I clicked on the forums and was
told that I needed to register before reading, upon which I gave up and
left. I think this is what Eugene is complaining about - asking people to
practice Singularity writing in BJKlein's forums where nobody except BJKlein
members can read it. Giving out your email address and being subscribed to
a bimonthly newsletter is a higher threshold than most people will want to
cross without an existing reason, no matter how innocent it may seem to a
website proprietor.