RE: MW QT AI please phone home; another path to a Singularity?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 23:38:36 MDT

Brian wrote:
> Of course I'm a complete armchair (less than that really :-) quantum
> physicist,

I am not a professional quantum physicist, but I am mathematician enough to
fully understand the formalism of quantum theory; and I also know a good bit
about other related branches of physics like chromodynamics (quark theory)
and quantum gravity.

My opinion is that our current level of knowledge about fundamental physics
is far too poor for such speculations as are being bandied about to have
much meaning.

No one knows how to unify quantum theory and general relativity (gravitation
theory). It is (in my view) highly likely that, when these two theories are
made consistent, it will be done by a new theory that significantly modifies
the current quantum theory of measurement. The Many-Worlds Interpretation
is one among many substantially equivalent interpretations of the current
quantum theory of measurement.

So, by all means, let's entertain each other with tales of future AI's
leaping between parallel universes. But I wouldn't take this stuff too
seriously!! (Not to imply that anyone *was* taking it all that seriously ;)
We have far too much yet to learn about fundamental physics...

-- Ben G