Fermi and LOGI

From: Mitch Howe (mitch@iconfound.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 22:24:01 MDT

Hmm. I had actually called DGI "LOGI" myself since I saved it to my desktop
and shortened the resulting name to make it more cosmetically appealing.

Interestingly enough, the Fermi paradox could actually be said to act as
supporting evidence for one of the tenets of LOGI, namely the idea that
human intelligence represents a "noncentral special case" of cognition in
general. Why? Because the same calculations that say intelligent life
ought to already exist somewhere in the galaxy say nothing about what kind
of intelligences these would probably be, meaning, perhaps, that most breeds
of intelligence lack the specific kinds of innate desires that would lead
them to explore the galaxy in detectable ways -- as humans presumably would.

It could, of course, also mean that *restraint* is a distinguishing trait of
minds intelligent enough to initiate galaxy-trotting exploration. If so,
Egan's Diaspora may actually have been correct in its seeming to take for
granted the idea that truly intelligent species don't screw up by "going
exponential"... and we can look forward to slamming the overpopulation
fearmongers once and for all.

--Mitch Howe