RE: Losing the race.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 12:43:39 MDT

But, mind-building also benefits from the technological exponential
advancement, obviously.

A more solid, point, I think, is that the rate of progress of
human-brain-emulation is *easier to predict*. This is the main reason
Kurzweil harps on it so much. It's pretty obvious that as brain scanning
and computer hardware both advance, it will eventually become possible to
create a digital simulacrum of a human brain. Most people probably don't
accept this, but most people with an open-minded futurist mental framework,
certainly.

The rate of progress of mind-building not guided by detailed human-brain
emulation, on the other hand, is really hard to predict. There are no
pretty curves to plot: either an amazing breakthrough will happen or it
won't. You surmise that it won't, which is your right, but it's just your
intuition. The fact that brain-building will benefit from technological
advancement proves nothing, as mind-building obviously will too.

-- Ben G