Re: Thanks.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 14:09:31 MDT

Mike & Donna Deering wrote:

> I think calculating the exact moment of the Singularity should be fairly
> straight forward. [...] The Singularity is coming along with such precision and
> regularity that it should be possible to pin point it down to a few days.

Flaming monkeys will fly out of my butt before anyone pinpoints the
Singularity down to a few days, unless it's actually a few days before the
Singularity. Kurzweil's neat little charts describe nothing except the cost
of hardware. They don't describe either the funding available to projects
or the amount of hardware required for seed AI under a given development
paradigm. And how can you praise the absolute regularity of Kurzweil's
charts, then say that he's overestimated the time involved by 16 years?