Re: we are real! (was; singularity arrival estimate...)

From: Evan Reese (evansreese@directvinternet.com)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 17:12:21 MDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Roy Ames" Subject: Re: we are real! (was; singularity arrival
estimate...)

> From: Smigrodzki, Rafal <SmigrodzkiR@msx.upmc.edu>
> > The recent factorization of the number 15 by a quantum
> > mechanical algorithm makes the existence of the other branches of
reality
> > increasingly difficult to ignore.
> > Rafal
> >

> Hold the phone! Inference error! The existence of Quantum Mechanics
> theory, and its practical application to quantum computing, does not infer
> the truth or falsehood of the Multiverse POV. AFAIK the Multiverse POV
has
> provided no additional predictions over those given by QM. I haven't
heard
> of even a single test that might prove the M-POV true, or false, or even
> change the likelihood of it at all. (Or have I missed something?) On the
> other hand, QM has predicted lots of things, and has been tested over and
> over and proven correct (so far).

Sorry if I misunderstand you, but you seem to be placing qm and the notion
of the multiverse in opposition. Whereas, I believe the multiverse idea
is - at least as David Deutsch portrays it - an explanation of the results
of qm; not a replacement for it. So it doesn't have to make predictions to
show that it is better than qm. Nobody disputes that qm works; but the
multiverse idea is the best answer I've heard so far as to why it works so
well.

Of course, I may be missing something here.