Old fellas.

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 18:46:29 MDT

Mike Deering wrote:

> P.S. Stephen Reed, glad to see new members in our age bracket. Do you
> remember slide rules? I used to have a nice english one with wheels
> instead of slides.

Oh yes. Slide rules were great! I used my grandfather's mahogany one, with
ivory inlay for the scales. I thought it was really swish... until I found
out that they had to kill an elephant to get the ivory :/ I used it anyway,
thinking "perhaps this elephant died of old age". I think it was the spring
of 1975 when I saw the first calculator in my classroom. The slide rules
vanished shortly after that... at least in Coventry, England.

Michael Roy Ames.