RE: [JOIN] Stephen Reed

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 17:40:40 MDT

> The military will have its own slant on the Singularity. It will
> put a lot
> of $$ into AGI with the objective of getting there before anyone else,

But this will, in my view, happen only AFTER some maverick group produces
some really impressive AGI technology.

I think they are far too intellectually conservative to fund a speculative
project likely to make the "first big AGI breakthrough" -- unless they do it
indirectly and accidentally, say by funding Novamente to develop
bioinformatics applications, while we behind the scenes we use some of the
$$ to do real AGI work. (Not that we are currently seeking military
funding -- we're not, and my heart dislikes the idea...)

ben