RE: software progress (RE: Hardware Progress: $319/GF)

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 15:59:36 MDT

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Lisp was invented in late 50s of last century. Common Lisp by 1984.
Since
> when can I buy a mature C# compiler, again? (Assuming, I'm dumb enough
> trust a single-source "standard", especially considered the source it
is
> coming from).

You can download the official csc.exe here in the Microsoft .NET SDK:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.as
p?url=/msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xml

You can download the "open-source" version of Microsoft .NET platform
here. It includes the compiler and the runtime:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sharedsource/sharedsourcewp.asp

You can download Gnome's open-source version here:
http://www.go-mono.com/

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> There are two kinds of fools. One thinking, this is old, and good.
Other
> thinking, this is new, and better.

I've written a lot code in my life (see my webpage) -- I am not just
falling for marketing crap. C# and the .NET platform are really good
and possibly better than Sun's Java.

> > ahead of ten years ago. With .NET's CTS, whatever you write in one
> > language can be used in any other with no problems.
>
> Thanks for leaping into proof with such abandon.

Feel free to check out some of my current C# projects. There is amazing
code reuse between the various projects and between C++ and C#:

  [1] 3D Engine using OpenGL
  http://www.exocortex.org/3dengine
  [2] Complex number and FFT library
  http://www.exocortex.org/dsp
  [3] Iterative 3D immunocytochemistry deconvolution
  http://www.exocortex.org/neurosci
  [4] Various Towers of Hanoi solvers
  http://www.exocortex.org/toh
  [5] Traveling Salesman Genetic Algorithm
  http://www.exocortex.org/tspga-source.zip

Some MIT grad recently modified by FFT library to work with Intel's
optimized libraries. In some recent contract work I have been
integrating with legacy ActiveX objects in a very seamless fashion. You
may hate Microsoft but that won't change the fact that their new
technology is pretty decent.

Cheers...
-ben
http://www.exocortex.org