RE: Books on rationality

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 17:54:50 MDT

Eliezer...

Ah, I think I was interpreting the phrase "after the fact" differently than
you

My point was that evolution-of-species theory has never successfully
predicted the evolution of a new species.

I.e., it has never made a successful prediction about a future event.

It has *sort of* made predictions about past events that were unknown at the
time the prediction was made

By "sort of", I mean

-- It has never predicted the details of an unknown *past* species, which
was later discovered, after the prediction was made

-- BUT, it has predicted the *general characteristics* of some unknown
species, which were later discovered, after the prediction was made (by
identifying "missing links" in evolutionary trees built from past species
already discovered)

This evidential weakness is why there are still some fairly intelligent
people pushing Scientific Creationism (though I am not one of them!)

Cosmology has actually done better. The Big Bang theory has actually
successfully predicted a present & future event: the cosmic background
radiation at the exact wavelength predicted by the Big Bang equations. This
empirical prediction, when validated by Arno Penzias & co. (in the 60's, I
think?), put an end to the Steady State Theory for all but a few diehards.

Still, these two theories do not at all fit the classic Popperian model of
science as experimental, or predictive. They are much more
"rationalizations" of observed evidence, after the fact (the observation of
the cosmic background radiation being an important exception).

-- Ben G