RE: Books on rationality

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 08:56:24 MDT

> And with that said... why would rationality have any trouble dealing with
> the possibility that our universe is a computer simulation? How does the
> proposed objective fact that our universe is a computer simulation in any
> way obviate the notion of objective reality?

Perhaps our communication is getting tangled up in the various shades of
meaning of words like "objective reality."

If the ground under my feet is part of a computer simulation, then is it
"objectively real"? I think that according to classical realist philosophy
the answer is NO.

> And how does faith help in the slightest?

The assumption that the ground under one's feet is DEFINITELY not going to
go away in five minutes when the simulation is switched off, seems to be
emotionally reassuring to many humans, putting them in a more relaxed frame
of mind that allows them to function more effectively.

-- Ben G