RE: Threats to the Singularity.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 11:54:46 MDT

Mike,

The term "information" is dodgy. DNA sets up the initial conditions for a
complex self-organizing epigenetic process that gives rise to a brain and
body. The self-organization process generates new information, and
incorporates environmental information. So there's a lot of information in
the complete brain, which is not explicitly there in the DNA code leading to
the brain's formation. On the other hand, MS-Word's code determines
MS-Word's appearance and functionality in a much more direct way, so that
the actual MS-Word product contains very little information that wasn't
there explicitly in the codebase.

-- ben