RE: Threats to the Singularity: Time...

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 13:07:58 MDT

In Novamente, the overall system dynamics has an "evolutionary" nature,
which is related to but different from genetic programming as normally
conceived

On the other hand, explicit GP is also used in Novamente, for some purposes.
However, your comment is apt, James: GP requires a "fitness function," and
where does that come from? In Novamente GoalNodes define fitness functions
for GP, but they must be learned themselves, based on basic GoalNodes
supplied as a priori motivations...

Also, GP has scaling problems, which means that it can only be used to
evolve relatively small program modules, which must be pieced together and
integrated into larger functional systems by other means...

All in all, I think that evolution is an important *aspect* of intelligence,
and explicitly evolutionary algorithms are potentially a useful *component*
of an AGI, but they're far from the whole story...

ben g