AI and hardware

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 04:52:44 MDT

A question to AI implementers: what do you think you could do with a
hardware architecture described below? I have my reasons for asking,
please humour me.

Boilerplate:

* substrate: 300 mm wafers, a modern embedded RAM process, wafer-scale
  integrated (routing around defect dies done in software)

* memory grain size: depending on yield (80..90% of good dies), but
  certainly below 1 MByte (possibly way below, ~100 kBytes)

* number of grains/wafer: depends on die size and structure size, but
  ~10^3 per wafer, or more.

* asynchronous, ultrawide (say, 256 bit or more) variant of
  http://colorforth.com/25x.html (single instance, two shallow stacks,
  ultrawide data stack, SIMD instructions on array of short integers). Very high
  bandwidth, low latency.

  (if you don't know about peculiarities of stack computers, get current
  on http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~koopman/stack_computers/ )

* no floats, no memory protection, no reentrant multitasking

* wafer-wide low-latency high-bandwidth (~TBps/die) hardware
  message passing, dynamic remapping and routing around dead dies
  (high-dimensional analogon of geographic switching)

* wafer cascadable using above meshed switching. Total bandwidth a
  fair fraction of a real crossbar.

* minimal cooperative multitasking OS, 2-4 kBytes. That's your redundancy
  in each die.

* language: most naturally FORTH with SIMD VLIW extensions

Question:

Does this completely weird you out, or do you think you could do
meaningful work on above machine?