Re: QUES: CFAI

From: Anand AI (trans_humanism@msn.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 16:32:05 MDT

Anand wrote:
>01. Does CFAI argue for a set of panhuman characteristics that comrpise
>human moral cognition? If so, what characteristics do we have evidence
>for, and what characteristics of human moral cognition will be
>reproduced?

The following is correlated to question #1. The below quoted text has the
premise that a philosophy can be grounded and approximately derived from
panhuman characteristics, and used as content for Friendly AI. I am
requesting clear explication of and evidence for this premise. Also, what
evidence is there for the below claim that "panhuman attributes such as
'altruism'... build up _very_ strongly when all the humans on Earth are
superposed"?

CFAI: 3.4.2.4.3: SAS: Grounding for external reference semantics:
>In a later section, I give the actual, highly secret, no-peeking target
>definition of Friendliness that is sufficiently convergent, totally
>programmer-independent, and so on. Hopefully, you've seen enough already
>to accept, as a working hypothesis, the idea that a philosophy can be
>grounded in panhuman affectors. The programmers try to produce a
>philosophy that's an approximation to that one. Then, they pass it on to
>the Friendly AI. The Friendly AI's external referent is supposed to refer
>to that programmer-independent philosophy, about which the programmers
>are good sources of information, as long as the programmers give it their
>honest best shot. This is not a complete grounding - that takes causal
>validity semantics - but it does work to describe all the ways that
>external reference semantics should behave. For example, morality does
>not change when words leave the programmers' lips, it is possible for a
>programmer to say the wrong thing, the cognitive cause of a statement
>almost always has priority over the statement itself, manipulating the
>programmer's brain doesn't change morality, and so on.

CFAI: 3.4.4: The actual definition of Friendliness:

Anand wrote:
>02. Why is volition-based Friendliness the assumed model of Friendliness
>content? What will it and what will it not constitute and allow? If the
>model is entirely incorrect, how is this predicted to affect the AI's
>architecture[, specifically, causal validity semantics]?

CFAI contains only two paragraphs, I believe, that explicitly relate to the
above question. Please interpret my second question as a request for
elaboration beyond the below quoted text.

CFAI: 1.3: Seed AI and the Singularity:

Anand wrote:
>03. What alternatives to volition-based Friendliness have been considered,
>and why were they not chosen?

According to my memory, CFAI does not contain an answer to the above
question. If this is wrong, please reference specific sections.

Anand wrote:
>04. How will the AI know and decide what constitutes "normativeness"?

Specifically, I do not understand what constitutes "normativeness" in the
real-world. What constitutes a normative human or normative altruism, and
how can they be achieved?

Thanks,

Anand