Best of All Possible.

From: Mike & Donna Deering (deering9@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 06:19:49 MDT

In thinking about how the Singularity might be implemented "on the ground" one of the interesting scenarios is what I call the "best of all possible worlds".

No big announcement, things just start changing. Scientists studying bread flipping notice that it always lands butter side up. People winning lotteries turn out to be the most deserving. Cancers go into remission. Old people start growing younger and fitter. Intelligence, compassion and appreciation of beauty rises. Suicide bombers develop enough empathy for their victims that they couldn't imagine hurting a fly. Sworn enemies see each others sides and peace and harmony break out all over. Traffic accidents and plane crashes stop happening. Policemen and firemen, doctors and nurses, attorneys and judges, solders and security guards all are free to find more fulfilling preoccupations. My kid can go to the park without getting an ant bite. Scientists have new insights. Solutions are found for world hunger and poverty. Productivity is up. Prices are down. Everything in every way gets better every day.

Mike.