Re: A Value System

From: Joel Pitt (extropy@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 15:57:59 MDT

aominux wrote:
> */James Rogers <jamesr@best.com>/* wrote:
>
> >If we did, we could
>
> >essentially call any random number generator an Oracle Of All Knowledge.
>
> Keep in mind that a random number generator is only as entropic as the
> code that defines it. Just because a 5k "random" (pretend I used to
> right word there) data generating executable can output "random" (again)
> data doesn't mean it is more entropic than a 4000k mp3. It's even more
> complicated than that, but describing "data" is far beyond my writing
> abilities.

James didn't mention anything about it being an executable or
pseudo-random number generator. There are plenty of sources
to obtain random noise/numbers from. Many are easily
attached to a serial port, so an 5k executable could in fact
provide much more entropy than is defined within itself.

Heh, I could even use my PCI TV Card tuned to a random frequency
;)

Joel