Re: Fwd: Eclectic Pseudoplague

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 10:09:29 MDT

Martin Moore wrote:

> Eliezer's hypothesis still stands in that equal rates
> of technological advancement among aggressors tends to
> minimize actual harm from the same. The nuke scenario
> could serve as an almost perfect example of this, in
> that ICBM parity defined the Cold War (emphasis on
> 'cold').

That was Bradbury, not me. I worry that MAD only works with two-party
confrontations, as opposed to, say, ten-party confrontations. It also only
works if it takes a long slow time to build up an arsenal; i.e., it only
works if the weapons are not self-replicating.

Incidentally, everyone please remember not to quote the entire message in
your replies.