Re: [Fwd: Re: How Kurzweil lost the Singularity]

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 09:35:46 MDT

> DARPA ANNOUNCES RESEARCH INITIATIVE IN COGNITIVE SYSTEMS
>
> The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) today announced a new
> research initiative in the field of cognitive systems, releasing a Broad
> Agency Announcement (BAA) seeking innovative research proposals.
>
> The DARPA Cognitive Information Processing Technology Initiative will
> develop the next generation of computational systems with radically new
> capabilities. "Cognitive systems" will demonstrate levels of autonomy and
> reasoning far beyond those of today's systems. With the ability to reason,
> learn and adapt, and with facilities for self-awareness, these will
> literally be systems that know what they're doing.
> http://www.darpa.mil/body/NewsItems/pdf/iptorelease.pdf

Someone actually sent this to me a couple days ago, though I hadn't
gotten around to posting it to the list yet. I was actually very
pleased to see that the wording of the announcement suggested that the
author has a fairly deep understanding of the real problems and issues.
Even in the nominal AI community, I sometimes wonder if people really
understand the underlying issues, but these DARPA fellas seem to "get
it".

It looks quite interesting, and I've been mulling over some possible
proposals myself.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com