Re: How Kurzweil lost the Singularity

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 08:06:33 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Samantha Atkins wrote:
> >
> > I see him building awareness and momentum now and stepping back, for
> now,
> > from taking any technological lead. Perhaps he believes more can be
> > accomplished by him at this point in that capacity and/or that
> technology
> > is proceeding apace in any case. I am a little worried to see you or
> > anyone casting moral aspersions on another if there actions are not what
> > you would have done in their place. I don't think that is very
> fruitful.
> >
> Samantha, what I'm worried about is that Kurzweil seems to be spreading a
> mutant nonactivist form of the meme. Vernor Vinge's original stories of
> the Singularity were based around the blazing disruptive power of
> smarter-than-human intelligence, not the inexorable grinding of the
> wheels of industry churning out transhumanity as a safe, ordinary
> luxury.

OK, but the hard takeoff variant of Singularity is not the only one and
is not necessarily the way that it will work out in at least a
generation or two. So, if someone wants to work from where we are to
take it step by step, I have a hard time seeing that as wrong or at all
immoral. Vinge's stories are stories, not gospel, not even an airtight
case for how it will be.

> Therefore Vinge's stories often show, realistically, individuals
> or projects that play a critical role in the final Singularity
> (regardless of how much background technological progress contributes to
> it). Vernor Vinge's 1993 NASA lecture emphasizes both the speed of the
> changes once created and the size of the stakes - and while we're at it,
> also emphasizes the need to enter the Singularity with our best foot
> forward, the possible differences between technologies, and the fact
> that the intrinsic rate of some technologies may be faster than others.
> At this moment Kurzweil's version of the Singularity meme doesn't
> include *any* of Vinge's strategic, activist thinking, except in the
> very diluted form of deciding which inevitability to predict.

He has his own version of strategic activist thinking on a fairly
different model from what I can tell.