Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 21:02:25 MDT

James Higgins wrote:

> Now, can either of you explain to me why a human-equivalent intelligence
> will, all of a sudden, be capable of creating bounds & leaps of technology
> that were otherwise impossible, just because it is running on
> silicon???

Why? Here's a few reasons.

1) Totally infallable memory
2) 24 x 7 operation, no breaks for body maintenance
3) Improved speed of access to 'canned' facts (Encyclopedias, Google, etc)

And by FAR the most important reason for "leaps & bounds" is:

4) Ability to reprogram ones own cognitive processes.

If this isn't enough... then... nuts! --> Its plenty enough!!

Michael Roy Ames
Ottawa, Canada.