Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 00:42:16 MDT

> ... The general ideas you cite do not give us
> a quantitative estimate; they don't let us tell whether the step from
> human-level to vastly superhuman level intelligence will be 3 weeks or 8
> years.
>
> -- Ben G

Yeah... I have no solid intuition about the take-off acceleration factor. I
can only imagine what I would do if I had access to my own mental
programming. I have many, many ideas about this, as I have been thinking
about "what I'm gonna do after I upload" for a long time now. First on my
list is: Make a backup copy. Second: Work on getting smarter for a while
(not a really long time) then stop and reassess the situation.

This is the kind of speculation that is very interesting, but doesn't really
product useful results because... we just don't know enough about in-silico
cognition... yet :)

Michael Roy Ames