RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 07:36:00 MDT

Once again, the "how hard" question is critical.

If it's 3 weeks from human-level AI to superhuman AI, then there will be
basically no option for government to intervene.

Before human-level AI is achieved, government won't care about the pertinent
AI research; after it's achieved, 3 weeks is too short a period of time for
government to pragmatically do anything about it. (Given the typical slow
pace of governmental reaction to novel situations.)

On the other hand, if it's 3 years from human-level AI to superhuman AI,
then there is time for governmental committees to convene, and potentially
for the gov't to take over the research and attempt to control it in one of
a number of ways.

-- Ben G