RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 12:37:28 MDT

At 02:03 PM 6/23/2002 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>
> > But cryonics research is harder to do on a shoestring budget, so many fewer
> > people are working on it -- even fewer than on general intelligence, sadly!
>
>I've burned two years of my life working on it. You'd be surprised what
>can be done on a modest budget with proper motivation. The issue with the
>cryonics community is that it has zero interest in validation, being quite
>comfortable with cargo cult science.

Well, that isn't completely true. Some good science is being
performed. For example I know there is a (at least one) lab out there
studying some frog that can be frozen solid and be fine when it thaws
out. It has some sort of natural anti-freeze that it pumps its body full
of when it begins to freeze. When it thaws it starts its own heart back up
and eventually comes out intact. Aparently in the wild this variety of
frog freezes every winter and thaws every spring, so it is obviously a
reliable & repeatable process. While the anti-freeze isn't directly
useable in Humans (at least presently) they believe it might be possible to
create a substance that could work similarly for humans. (it essentially
prevents the crystallization that destroys the cell walls from occuring).