Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 00:00:42 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> At 10:05 PM 6/22/2002 -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
>> Uh huh. Go tell your local congress critters and law enforcement that
>> you and your gang are going to do something that will change
>> everything irrevocably and that you will do it regardless of what they
>> think or do and that there is no conceivable way they can stop you.
>> Click the stopwatch at the end of the speech. Let me know how long it
>> took before you were put away for a psych evaluation and/or tossed in
>> prison with no access to computers if they took you seriously.
>

> It is tempting to do exactly as you suggest (since it would prove the
> point), but I have better things to do with my time.
>
> a) If they think I'm nuts the worst they could do is order a psych
> evaluation. I'm not nuts so in a few days (at most) I'm free to do as I
> wish.
>
> b) If they take me seriously they can't jail me because creating an AI
> is not illegal. They could work on passing laws to make it illegal but
> that would take considerable time (possibly years), especially since
> there is no "obvious" and present danger

You might want to check out the "Patriot" Act and its
cyberterrorism sections rather carefully before you assert that
or depend on it. In case you haven't noticed the US feds can
now throw people (even citizens) in jail on trumped up charges
they do not have to make public and without giving the detainee
access to a lawyer or even admitting they are holding the
person. They can do this, under not difficult to contrive
circumstances, to most anyone they wish. It is a very different
world than what we thought we grew up in.

Also, I was attempting to make the point that saying you are
outside the law makes you an outlaw, a wild card, a clear and
present danger. Your only hope is to not be taken seriously
until it is too late. Of course, that isn't necessarily good
for the world at large.

- samantha