RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 08:01:52 MDT

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Does Cyc plan to incorporate geometric reasoning (i.e. Kapur & Mundy)?
>
> I understand it is designed to operate in the text domain, being a bit
> agnostic about the physical world.

Our Darpa CPOF (Command Post Of the Future) project requires geometric
reasoning to compute battlefield targeting. Thus we have incorporated
vocabulary to represent this specific domain, and can interface with
geometric (geo-spatial) reasoners supplied by other project participants.

You are correct in that we have a significant portion of Cycorp involved
with NLP as compared to geo-spatial reasoning.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org