Re: CS Heroes (was Seed AI)

From: Christian Szegedy (szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 02:48:39 MDT

James Rogers wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 12:19, Stephen Reed wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>>

>>>Computer science in general seems to have benefited from collective
>>>intelligence at least as much as from "lone genius" style intelligence.
>>>Progress in CS has been as substantial as that in physics, yet we don't have
>>>CS heros on the order of Einstein or Newton to look up to.
>>>

>>Not yet...
>>
>>My vote is for Alan Turing, and I have a computer named in his honor
>>hosting OpenCyc from my garage. Its mate is named in honor of John
>>Mccarthy.
>>

>I would add Kurt Godel and Andrei Kolmogorov to that list.

I don't want to go into measuring achievments, but I don't think that
Turing had a significant
effect on the computer science. I think Neumanns work was of more
practical importance
But I think that the invention of the transistor had far more effect
than any theoretical work.
I just believe that if Turing had not lived, we would not be one day
behind where we are,
If Neumann had not lived, then we were perhaps some weeks behind, and if
Neumann
had patented his architecture (he considered it), then we were some
months behind.

Best regards, Christian