Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 10:32:30 MDT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, James Higgins wrote:

> The damage is minimal compared to a minor mistake on the Singularity.
> You can NOT use the same go criteria as any project that came before.

Yes, you can, very easily. It's called engineering hubris, and we're
collectively pretty good at it. (Yessir, I can do it. Anything you ask
me). Primates are ill equipped for rational risk assessment, once certain
conditions (immediacy in space and time, scale) are violated.

It's just we haven't had an opportunity to burn our paws properly yet.