Re: Self-modifying FAI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 11:22:27 MDT

From: "James Higgins" <jameshiggins@earthlink.net>

> ... Even though two people discuss something and agree that they
> completely sync on the meaning and details involved, they rarely if ever
are.

Here I would mostly agree with you... understanding is rare. However, it is
not unknown. When people take the time, make the effort, *want* to
understand fully, can introspect well, and communicate honestly... then
understanding can happen - to a very high level of fidelity. Most of the
time people don't want to take that much effort about it, and thus:
misunderstandings arise. If one if educating a FAI system, one will
certainly take as much time as is required to be very certain there are no
misunderstanings, and to put in the effort needed to ensure all concepts are
grasped thoroughly.

Michael Roy Ames