Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 11:34:26 MDT

> Make no sense or incoherent to who? Who decides what is a good idea and
> what is a bad idea? In who's hands should the fate of the human race
rest?

Someone has to decide. Or some group. Would you rather that the deciding
'unit' be the ill-informed public, or some group more educated? If so,
which group? The most educated perhaps? The most altruistic perhaps?
Everyone should certainly be able to see the decisions and how they were
arrived at yes? Okay then, who do you suggest? I suggest SIAI. If you
want to suggest some other decision-making unit, then: go ahead. I am not
being facecious, really, I would like to hear your suggestion.

> But there has only been one, or at most a very very few, complex projects
> that could wipe out the human race. Don't you guys SEE THE
> DIFFERENCE?

Err... yes.

> You keep comparing your decisions to go forward to other
> complex problems.

Are you denying the ultility of "learning from past mistakes"?

> And I'm not saying 100% certainty is required (I've said this). But
> 99.9999 would be good.

Good. Please help us get those lovely nines in place... the more nines the
better.

Michael Roy Ames