RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 19:33:23 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

>I think that, if the posited organization is going to exist, we need
>someone
>to "head" it, and this shouldn't be me or Eliezer or anyone else with their
>own AGI design and their own agenda to push.

Committees are only really effective when there is something concrete to
discuss. Right now nobody has a working AI... nor is even close.
Therefore: Please forget committees for a while. When we start getting some
results, and are much closer to a hypothetical 'takeoff' descision time,
then it might be worth laying out the decision before a group of people.
Until then, it would just be a waste of time. And as for suggesting
committee members: *way* premature. Putting together a committee like this
could be done very quickly... its not like you need a lot of time to call 10
or 20 smart, connected, people and invite them to participate in this kind
of momentous decision.

Michael Roy Ames