Re: Military Friendly AI

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 13:39:55 MDT

At 03:13 PM 6/27/2002 -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > According to your recent posts,
> >
> > a) an AGI project forming an advisory board of Singularity wizards is
> > suicidal
>
>SIAI has already considered forming an advisory board. It was when James
>Higgins proposed giving the "group" (note: not using the C-word) control
>over all Singularity projects that I started having serious problems.
>
>James Higgins wrote:
> >
> > Ideally, I think deployment (kick off) of a Singularity project would be
> > impossible without the agreement of this group. (the keys would not be
> > in the possession of the developers). All 10 people would have to agree
> > in order to launch a Singularity attempt. Ideally this same group would
> > oversee all potential Singularity projects, so that they could analyze,
> > compare and pick the one with the best potential to be launched.

Hey, I'm always open to changing my point of view given good reason to do
so (which I belive I've demonstrated at least a few times on here). I
never said it had to be this way, and Ben's suggestions (which were not in
this vein) are the ones I ended up agreeing with.

Also, please note, that the above viewpoint was in fact specifically
because of your recent posting behavior Eliezer. Your making me nervous,
for darn good and I believe obvious reason. And I'm obviously not the only
one, I've gotten a number of private emails from SL4 participants in the
last couple of days thanking me for confronting you on these issues, and
asking that I continue to do the same. Thus, my original pitch for this
group WAS actually intended to get in your way, Eliezer. A fact you
obviously picked up on because you reacted so strongly against this
emotionally, instead of giving rational arguments why it was not necessary
(which would have been the wiser response, IMHO).

I would tend to worry very little if Ben was about to kick off a
Singularity attempt, but I would worry very much if you, Eliezer, were. If
you don't understand why I suggest you carefully re-read many of your
recent posts and have some trusted friends, who can be completely honest
with you, do the same. You do have, I assume, trusted friends of this
nature (although you very well may not since your focusing so much energy
on getting to the Singularity ASAP).

James Higgins