RE: Military Friendly AI

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 13:03:21 MDT

At 05:21 PM 6/29/2002 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > b) the gov'ts of the developed world will have instituted a surveillance
> > system that has its feelers in every computer chip of any reasonable power,
> > and every network hub, etc. Maybe even in every brain! AGI research will
> > be allowed only in gov't regulated facilities, and if the surveillance
> > system sees anyone doing unapproved AGI research, the gov't will step
> in and
> > squash it.
>
>This is a possible future. We've got several independent forces working
>towards that. First, spooks need no extra incentive to snoop. It's their
>business, and bureaucracies, emulating ideal gas, tend to expand to fill
>all available room, if unopposed. So far, we don't see much backpressure
>rising up from the grass roots. The matter is a bit technical, and people,

Gee, forgot about the Clipper Chip already have we? Very
convenient. There are already people pushing back on the new policies
implemented to fight terrorism. The US citizens may not, as a whole, be
fully involved in the voting process but they certainly can yell real loud
when they think their rights are being infringed upon.

Yes, to some degree this is happening very slowly. But we would have to
see a significant increase in adoption of your viewpoint and related
technology and see groups such as the EFF, ACLU, etc. shrink and eventually
disappear. This would almost certainly take decades, if it were allowed to
happen at all. Personally, I believe there is a threshold beyond which
most Americans would demand change if things went in this direction.

James Higgins