Re: Ben vs. Ben

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 16:49:24 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> If my projections are correct, it will be years, not months, before this
  ^^
> kind of thinking is directly relevant to Novamente work [i.e., until we have
> a system that is autonomously generally intelligent on a level where its
> Friendliness or not is a worry.] But we'll get there -- we're in this for
> the long haul, for sure...

See, you keep saying things like that, and we all keep getting freaked out.

Please try to insert a mental roadblock in your head such that every time
you find yourself considering a decision relevant to the potential risk
increase/decrease of an existential risk, that you don't choose the
potentially riskier choice based solely on your own intuitions.

If you can't be 100% sure (hell, even if you can), then you need to take
the safest path unless there is a super darn good reason not to.

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/