Re[2]: How hard a Singularity?

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 11:35:52 MDT

JH> At 08:53 AM 7/4/2002 -0700, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
>>On Thu, 04 July 2002, James Higgins wrote:
>>
>> > Thus we're just an oasis of natural evolution and
>> > if/when we get to a Singularity ourselves we'll
>> > just be invited to join the party already in
>> > progress.
>>
>>I think, that a natural evolution cannot do anything in a million years,
>>what an (even lousy) Singularity couldn't in a day.
>>
>>Not to cultivate all the matter and energy in the neighborhood - is just a
>>crime, a Singularity would never do.

JH> You pretend to KNOW what a Singularity would/would not do or consider to be
JH> a crime? Maybe time is irrelevant to the Singularity? Maybe there is
JH> enough matter in the universe that the 0.001% (or whatever) of which is in
JH> use by natural evolution is irrelevant and to just cultivate it would be a
JH> heinous crime.

Or, to come at it from another angle: just as we cannot yet exactly
explain how we evolved from lower life forms, or for that matter
*exactly* explain a flower or bee -- even though we are "much higher"
than them -- and in keeping with Ben Goertzel's human-level, rather
than human-type, intelligence as one possible path towards
Singularity: perhaps there is a successful Singularity, hiding and
watching us build towards a new one, in order to gather clues about
its own origins.

Maybe it's nostalgic ;)