Re: Re[2]: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 18:40:36 MDT

On 7/4/02 12:28 PM, "Cliff Stabbert" <cps46@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In any case, to get this down to brass tacks -- let's say someone
> gives you a One Free Answer From God coupon, and you get to settle,
> once and for all, Whether Or Not we have free will.
>
> Say the answer is Yes. What does that prove? To what conclusions
> does that lead?

I don't think it really matters; I was discussing it more as a consequence
of certain premises, not evaluating the consequences. With respect to
possible consequences, it defines our relationship to an SI. If we actually
had free will, a consequence of that is that humans would be inscrutable to
an SI. However, there are other mathematical consequences to this that do
not map to the reality of human minds as we actually know them.

I behave as though I have free will, but I also realize that this probably
can't be the case in an omniscient objective sense. Lacking the choice, I
don't waste much time on it.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com