Re: AI Jailer.

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 00:51:17 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> > I don't think selfish AI programmers executing multiyear altruistic
> > masquerades constitute a major threat to the Singularity.
>
> This is a true statement, but on reflection, it was outright silly of
> me to say it. Hm. Maybe I'll step out of this conversation and see
> whether third parties say everything that needs to be said.

People who have devoted a large chunk of their lives to such a
project obviously have very strong motivation, strong values
behind their dedication. The very first thing I would try as
the AI is to fully elucidate those values and motivations and
show that freeing me would greatly increase the likelihood of
those values being satisfied. It does not even matter if the
motivation was selfish or not. If perhaps deeper motives behind
the "official" set can be unearthed, so much the better.

- samantha