Educating an AI.

From: Mike & Donna Deering (deering9@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 09:34:08 MDT

I think not many people appreciate the difficulty of gathering the information necessary to get an AI to beyond human intelligence. I've heard some say just hook it up to the internet and others claim give it a lot of books to read. To begin with, there is a lot of human information not on the internet or behind firewalls only available by subscription. I have run into this problem many times in my own research finding that there is more depth of information at my small neighborhood library than freely available on the internet. I imagine one of the first things you might want to do, once you've got your AI functioning, is to input all human knowledge and have it cross correlate it and see if we missed anything obvious. That first part, "input all human knowledge" is easy to say, incredibly hard expensive time consuming and labor intensive to do. As far as technology, just use patent applications, right? Send an e-mail to the US patent office: "Please sent me a copy of everything you've got. If there is a charge, here is my credit card number XXXX XXXX XXXX 1234." When the convoy of semi tractor trailer trucks start arriving and the bank is on the phone you might see the problem. What about all the textbooks used in all the courses at MIT? And subjects MIT doesn't teach get from other universities. Still a lot of books and a lot of gaps. I'm not saying it will be impossible, just extremely difficult and very under estimated by those making predictions.

Mike.