RE: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 08:08:11 MDT

Anand and Eli,

I agree, in my off-the-cuff response I missed a very important and obvious
answer, which is

4) We humans have many other goals, such as continuing our race and helping
humans and other species to be happy and productive, which we believe will
be more effectively achievable if we have greater intelligence at our
disposal

I just e-mailed the dude who asked me that question with this addition.

Duuuhhh! Obviously I was not introspecting very thoroughly in answering
that e-mail, as this "missed" motivation is certainly one of my own major
ones.... Maybe it's too early in the morning to be thinking about
philosophy!!

thanks!
ben