RE: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 11:37:09 MDT

Eli, a lot of problems are solved by instinct, but I guess you could
attribute that to intelligence on the species level...

Spiritual traditions teach that faith, clarity-of-mind, etc. -- not
intelligence -- are the solutions to the essential problems of life.

I define "intelligence" as "the ability to achieve complex goals in complex
environments". However, what many spiritual traditions would say is that
the complex goals are not the important ones...

ben g