RE: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 12:29:11 MDT

mike

As you say, cryonics is available now, at a reasonably modest cost -- for
middle-class Americans -- through life-insurance.

I don't think it's available outside the US, and even in the US it's out of
reach for the lower-income segments of the population.

So I guess the right statement is: "There's no reason for middle or upper
class Americans to die permanently right now, except in case of severely
brain-destroying accidents, or deaths that occur in very remote regions."

-- ben

  ***

  polysync writes: " I have considered them, I hope they happen in my life
time, and I will try to make them happen, but I feel like depending on them
would be the same as giving
  in to one of the feel-good religions."

  Number two on the list "cryonics" is available today. The extant
literature seems to favor the feasibility of it. It is generally accessible
through life insurance. I don't see any reason for anyone to die right now.

  Mike.