Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: jg nlb (comptelist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 06:40:28 MDT

>From: James Higgins <jameshiggins@earthlink.net>
>To: sl4@sysopmind.com
>Subject: Re: How hard a Singularity?
>Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 18:16:32 -0700
>
>At 08:02 PM 6/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>
>This will be the case to some degree, since (for example) I would benefit
>if I could simply think words instead of typing them. But this would
>contribute much less than imagined since most (at least of my time) is
>spent thinking instead of typing (I've learned to type nearly as fast as I
>can code, which is somewhere around 75WPM). Plus I must spend some time in
>advance (away from a keyboard typically) thinking about architecture and
>design issues. Two years ago I produced 350,000 lines of code in one year.
> If I didn't have to type I'd guess I could have done 450,000-600,000 (at
>most) since much of my time was spent thinking, designing and communicating
>(not typing). So while some speed will be gained here it won't contribute
>much when it comes to thinking & problem solving.

i've seen a few posts in this list about prodigy programmers (in reference
to prodigy calculators, by the way prodigy calculators are not necessarily
idiot/autist people). Personally i've been surprised to see that i could
also produce code very fastly. Nothing really comparable to the above, i
maxed at 4000/5000 lines per day, that was a long time ago (my early
thirties). And it was sqlc, that is not very difficult coding. Also i
could merge two code libraries 100 000 lines each in a matter of half a
month. But i did not sustain this rythm for a long time, far from a year.
The reason being that in france it is very rare to have that much work to
do, they had problem finding work for me (i worked on service companies).

So what's all that got to do with sl4 ? Well in all modesty i'm just waiting
to be of some use. There might be a brief period where a GAI might be
running and some firemen with great brain plasticity might be needed to
fight the damage some idiots did ignite by doing some silly work of so
called theoretical friendliness.

Hopefully will be there (after fifty i think i won't be good anymore,
anyhow)

Jean.

Affichez, modifiez et partagez gratuitement vos photos en ligne: