Re: AI-Box Experiment 2: Yudkowsky and McFadzean

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:24:46 MDT

On Tuesday, July 16, 2002, at 09:29 AM, Christian L. wrote:

>> > That's the problem with saying something like, e.g., "Intelligence
>> does
>> > not equal wisdom." You *do not know* what intelligence does or does
>> not
>> > equal. All you know is that the amount of intelligence you currently
>>
>> Actually, I believe I do know that intelligence does not equal wisdom.
>
> James is right here, for the simple reason that wisdom is in most
> conversations implicitly defined as "That which is not intelligence" or
> "That thing that Native American Indian chiefs have and Western
> scientists don't".

Just for everyone's information, when the next version of the
Singularitarian FAQ is published (I have worked on it on and off over
the past few months, more off and on as you might have guessed), it will
contain the following entry:

Q: So, does intelligence equal wisdom?

A: It has become cliché on SL4 to say that intelligence does not equal
wisdom. Many of us have been well aware of this for quite some time.
Please, avoid pointing this out unless the alternative is being drawn
and quartered (and maybe not even then). This is also a rather silly
thing to say, since for all you know greater intelligence *does* equal
greater wisdom. With humans we get the opinion that the two are
uncorrelated, but the sample is too small to make non trivial factual
statements about greater intelligences (aside from the errors of
extrapolation).

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose