RE: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:47:57 MDT

> >I did not mean the word "primitive" as a value judgment, but as an
> >indication that the technologies and general culture patterns of these
> >groups are those that other groups of humans abandoned long ago.
>
> I felt sure that you didn't. It's just that using it in that context is a
> vestige of primitive rhetoric that other groups of humans abandoned long
> ago. :)
>
> Damien Broderick

According to dictionary.com:

***
prim.i.tive Pronunciation Key (prm-tv) adj.

Not derived from something else; primary or basic.

Of or relating to an earliest or original stage or state; primeval.

Being little evolved from an early ancestral type.

Characterized by simplicity or crudity; unsophisticated: primitive weapons.
See Synonyms at rude.

Anthropology. Of or relating to a nonindustrial, often tribal culture,
especially one that is characterized by a low level of economic complexity:
primitive societies.
***

-- ben g