Re: AI-Box Experiment 2: Yudkowsky and McFadzean

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 11:22:04 MDT

Gordon Worley wrote:
> Just for everyone's information, when the next version of the
> Singularitarian FAQ is published (I have worked on it on and off over
> the past few months, more off and on as you might have guessed), it will
> contain the following entry:
>
> Q: So, does intelligence equal wisdom?
>
> A: It has become cliché on SL4 to say that intelligence does not equal
> wisdom. Many of us have been well aware of this for quite some time.
> Please, avoid pointing this out unless the alternative is being drawn
> and quartered (and maybe not even then). This is also a rather silly

Or, unless someone significant is once again insisting that they are equal.

> thing to say, since for all you know greater intelligence *does* equal
> greater wisdom. With humans we get the opinion that the two are

I would agree that greater intelligence enables greater wisdom, but one
does not equal the other and wisdom takes time to gather. I believe it
would take a major improvement in intelligence to significantly alter
perceived wisdom as a function of time compared with the average human.

I'm personally going to drop this topic, at least for now.

James Higgins