Re: SL4 meets "Pinky and the Brain"

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 12:00:02 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> This isn't the place to get into the details but having conversed
> with you and Ben for awhile I believe he is significantly wiser than
> you (not necessarily more intelligent).

If that's true, it doesn't change the fact that Ben Goertzel has
posted a mathematical definition of how he would either ask an AI to
optimize the world according to his goal system C, or else create a
population of entities with goal systems N such that the
population-level effect would be to optimize C. Now this can be argued
as moral or immoral. It happens that I think it's immoral, at least the
way Ben is defining C. But that could be argued. What does not change
is that you are focusing on your personal impressions of myself and Ben
at the expense of completely losing track of our actual respective
positions.

As for the rest of your post, if you're wiser than me for whatever
reason, this should be shown and not told.